Once you’ve tasted these light-as-air cakes, you will be hooked
- 100g unsalted butter, melted and cooled
- 125g icing sugar, plus extra for dusting
- 25g plain flour
- 85g ground almond
- 3 medium egg whites
- 1 unwaxed lemon, grated rind only
- 85g blueberry
- Preheat the oven to fan 180C/conventional 200C/gas 6. Generously butter six non-stick friand or muffin tins. Melt the butter and set aside to cool.
- Sift the icing sugar and flour into a bowl. Add the almonds and mix everything between your fingers.
- Whisk the egg whites in another bowl until they form a light, floppy foam. Make a well in the centre of the dry ingredients, tip in the egg whites and lemon rind, then lightly stir in the butter to form a soft batter.
- Divide the batter among the tins, a large serving spoon is perfect for this job. Sprinkle a handful of blueberries over each cake and bake for 15-20 minutes until just firm to the touch and golden brown.
- Cool in the tins for 5 minutes, then turn out and cool on a wire rack. To serve, dust lightly with icing sugar.